We can insure a customer with fully comprehensive cover in the EU for 60 days in any 12-month policy period. However, under the new UK-EU relationship, you will need a Green Card to drive in the EU from 1st January 2021.

What is a green card and do I need one?

A Green Card proves that your insurance covers the minimum cover in the country you’re driving in. In short, it's an international insurance document for drivers.

You will not be able to travel within the EU and EEA countries without a Green Card and you must have a valid Green Card for their whole trip.

Where can you drive abroad?

Please check your policy wording and/or get in touch with the Customer Support Team who will be able to confirm where you can and can’t drive abroad.   

How do I get a Green Card? 

To receive a Green Card, please contact our Customer Support team through your Marshmallow online account no later than 10 days before you are due to travel. 

We'll need to know the following:

  • Policy number
  • Current address
  • Name of driver(s) who will be driving abroad
  • Date of departure
  • Date of arrival back in the UK
  • Countries that will be visited
  • Vehicle used for the trip
  • Reason for Trip

Do I need anything else to drive abroad?

International Driving Permit

Under the new UK-EU relationship you do not need an International Driving Permit to drive in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein if you have a card driving licence issued in the UK.

However, you might need an IDP to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have either: 

  • A paper driving licence
  • A licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey, or the Isle of Man

You can check the Government website here- https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

GB Sticker

Under the new UK-EU relationship, all UK-registered cars will need to display a GB sticker when driving in any EU Country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. UK-registered cars will not be required to display a GB sticker or symbol when driving in the Republic of Ireland.

You do not need a GB sticker if your number plate includes the GB identifier on its own or with the Union flag - however, if you're in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a GB sticker no matter what is on your number plate.

You can check the Government website here - https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-symbols-and-identifiers

More information about your Marshmallow Account

How much does a Green Card cost?

Please check your policy wording to see the cost of the Green Card and/or get in touch with the Customer Support Team who will be able to confirm the cost of the Green Card. This is a one-off charge and needs to be paid upfront before your request is processed.


How will I receive my Green Card?

A Customer Support team member will send your Green Card to you via email along with your Certificate of Motor Insurance to print out once it has been issued. The Green Card sent to you does not need to be on green paper as this is no longer required and the document needs to be printed and kept in physical form.


Will I need a Green Card every time I drive in the EU?

Yes. Each Green Card is issued for a specific trip and the countries you will be driving in during this trip. No matter the length of the trip, the Green Card is for a minimum period of 15 days. 

The policy should be active for the full period. Where renewal is due during the period covered by the Green Card, the policy must be renewed, or alternatively the Green Card provided by your new insurance provider. 

Please note: we will only be able to issue a maximum of 4 Green Cards during a 12 month period on each policy.

What is the policy usage when a customer drives in the EU?

SDP (social, domestic, pleasure) only (cannot be used for business purposes)

Can I start a policy from abroad and get a Green Card from my policy start date?

In short, YES! You can purchase a policy, but you will need to get in touch with us to request a Green Card as soon as you purchase the policy. You will also need to pay for the Green Card on the day you request it. To request a Green Card, you can get in touch with us via our live chats service, and provide the following information:

  • The reason why their vehicle is abroad.
  • The vehicle has a UK registration plate.
  • They have a permanent address in the UK.
  • They have a valid driving licence.

Do I need a Green Card if my vehicle is abroad but is only parked and not being used?

Yes you will need a Green Card even if you are not using your vehicle as the Green Card is proof that your car is insured whilst abroad.