Back to blog

What car insurance documents do you need to get UK cover?

Moving to a new country means lots of admin.

Visas, driving licenses, new homes, new jobs… there are so many things to sort out when you move somewhere new. Getting car insurance is often pushed to the bottom of your list. But, car insurance is a legal requirement here in the UK. 

To make it all less stressful, we’ve put together a list of the car insurance documents you’ll need to get cover with us 🚗 

When you sign up for cover, there are 5 main car insurance documents we might ask you for depending on your circumstances.

1. Proof of address 

Why do you need my address?
Where you live is a big factor when we work out the price of your premium - so it’s important that we have all the right details! Knowing your address also helps us to get in touch with you if we need.  

What documents do I need to prove my address?
You can choose one of the following:

  • A recent utility bill – gas, electricity, water or home telephone 
  • A mortgage statement
  • A council tax bill
  • A tenancy agreement

The document needs to be dated from the past 60 days and must show your name and address clearly. You can share a photograph of the full document, or a PDF version. But we can’t accept screenshots, photocopies or scans.

What if I don’t have any of those documents?
Get in touch with us on Live Chat. We’ll talk about your situation with you and see what we can do to help. 

2. Proof of occupation (or, in other words, proof of what you do for work)

Why do you need to know about my job?
Proof of occupation is another big factor in figuring out the price of your premium.

What documents can I use to prove my occupation?
You can use any of the following:

  • An official work ID
  • A payslip
  • Your employment contract

Remember that you need to prove the job you’re currently in, not a job you used to have.

What if I’m self-employed?
We’ll need proof from HMRC to confirm your self-employed status. You can use any of the following:: 

  • Your HMRC welcome letter with confirmation of your UTR number
  • Your notice of Self-Assessment tax return
  • A VAT certificate

What if I’m a student and don’t have a job?
Not a problem! Just upload your Student ID or a letter from your university.

3. Proof of No Claims Discount (NCD)

What is a No Claims Discount?
No Claims Discount (NCD)  is a system we use in the UK to reward drivers who have not made a claim. In the UK, if you drive for one year without making a claim, you earn one year of No Claims Discount. The more No Claims Discount years you have, the more money we can give you off your premium. Lots of countries have a similar system but use a different name. You can find out more about No Claims Discounts here

What if my last insurer didn’t recognise claim-free driving?
Not all countries have a system that rewards claim-free driving. In that case, we can accept a simple letter or email from your previous insurer that confirms your driving history. 

What if I didn’t have insurance on my last car?
We understand that car insurance is not a legal requirement in all countries. If this was the case where you drove before, unfortunately we can’t give you the No Claims Discount. We can only issue the No Claims Discount with proof from another insurer. 

Why do I need to prove my No Claims Discount?
We want to make your car insurance premium more affordable by factoring in your great driving experience. Proof of your No Claims Discount helps us do just that. And remember, we’ll take into account your No Claims Discount earned abroad!

What documents can I use to prove my No Claims Discount?
At Marshmallow, we accept your No Claims Discount earned abroad, even if it’s under a slightly different system or name. But your years of claim-free driving have to be officially recognised by your previous insurer. Sadly, we can’t just take your word for it (we wish we could).

We’ll ask you to share a renewal notice or letter from your last insurer. The notice or letter should include: 

  • Your name
  • The period of cover (when your cover started and ended)  
  • Your No Claims Discount score (from the UK or abroad)
  • The summary of any claims made
  • The contact details of your previous insurer including the telephone number, email address, fax number and postal address

What if I don’t have the right documents?
Talk to us on Live Chat. We know getting proof of No Claims Discount earned abroad can take a while. Let us know if you need more time to get the proper documentation sorted.

If you can’t prove your No Claims Discount, we’ll have to remove the discount applied to your premium. But we’ll always let you know before we do that. 

4. V5C

What is a V5C document?
A V5C (also called a V5, vehicle logbook or V5C logbook) is a legal document from the DVLA. It shows who's the registered keeper of the car and other key vehicle details. When you buy a car, the V5C should come with it - check the glove compartment!

How can I share my V5C with you?
You can upload photos of your vehicle logbook using the Marshmallow app or your online account. Easy! 

What if I’ve lost, damaged or never had a V5C?
You can apply for a replacement one on the government website here

If you’re waiting for your new vehicle logbook to arrive, let us know on Live Chat and we’ll let you know if we can use another document instead. 

5. ID 

Why do I need to show you my ID?
Knowing who our customers are helps us to keep our prices low. It also means we can check that you are who you say you are. 

What documents can I use for ID?
We work with a partner called Onfido to verify your identity. Don’t worry, an Onfido check is safe and secure, and your data won’t be shared with anyone. Onfido will ask you to upload a photo of your ID in the form of your passport or driving licence. They’ll then get you to take a selfie. If you’ve moved to the UK from abroad, you can use your international passport, driving licence or residence permit card.

So, now you know what car insurance documents you need to get covered. All that’s left to do is to get your UK car insurance! 

We started Marshmallow to help expats and migrants get more affordable car insurance. We accept your international No Claims Discount, helping you to get a better price 🎉 

See how much you could save on your UK car insurance here.