Back to blog

How Does Car Insurance Work for Non UK Residents

Moving to the UK comes with a lot of questions, especially when it comes to residency and car insurance.

This blog should help answer the big questions, like what does being a UK resident mean in practical terms? And can you get UK insurance without fitting that criteria?

What is a UK resident?

First of all, you might actually be a UK resident without realising.

You are a UK resident if you have a UK address and your situation matches one of the following options:

  • You're new to the UK and spend, or plan to spend, 183 days or more here
  • You're on a spouse visa and spend, or plan to spend, 183 days or more in the UK
  • You're living abroad but visit the UK for more than 183 days a year and have a UK address

Remember a UK resident is not the same as a UK citizen. You do not need to be a UK citizen to get car insurance in the UK. As long as you qualify as a UK resident, there will be options available to you. 

Our car insurance is specifically designed for people who have moved to the UK. We look at all your past driving experience and claims-free history - from all countries. That means you can save up to 45% on your policy!

See how much we could save you on car insurance. Get a quote now.

I don't have residence status. How does non-UK resident car insurance work for me?

If you are not a UK resident, it will be difficult to get a long-term car insurance policy. Here at Marshmallow, we do not offer cover for non-UK residents.

But, there are still a few options for you to consider...

If you're planning to borrow a friend's or family member's car, you can get temporary cover. Or, they could add you as a named driver to their existing policy. But they might have to pay extra to do that.

You can also get short term car insurance to cover your own car.

If you’re renting a car, you don’t need to worry about insurance. Most rental companies provide it along with the car, just make sure to read all the terms of hire carefully. They may only give you the legal minimum of Third-party Only cover, so you might want to add extra protection. Or look into Third-party, Fire and Theft or Fully Comprehensive cover.

I’m a UK resident but I don't have a UK driving licence. Can I get cover? 

Yes, you can!

It doesn't matter if you passed your driving test in another country or if your driving licence is from another country. You can drive in the UK and get car insurance using your current licence for your first 12 months. Though some insurers may not accept a licence issued from another country. Luckily, we do! 

At Marshmallow, we’ll cover your current licence from any country, and give you an insurance price based on all your driving experience from anywhere in the world to help you get the best deal possible. 

Get a quote now.

New to the UK? Want to know more about if and when you need to switch to a UK driving licence? Read our blog here.