- Marshmallow is using technology to disrupt the insurance space, including with its mobile app, which will enable digital claims
- The company has served more than 100k customers to date and is fast becoming a market leader
- Marshmallow has raised another $85m in its Series B funding round
- Founded by identical twins Oliver and Alexander Kent-Braham, who are under 30, the fundraise values Marshmallow at more than $1.25bn, making it one of two UK unicorns to be founded by individuals that are Black or have Black heritage
- Prominent backers include Passion Capital, Investec Bank and Scor
- Funds will be used to support growth areas, including product development and European expansion
London 8th September 2021 – Marshmallow, a licensed insurance carrier, offering customers fairer, faster and cheaper insurance through its sophisticated use of technology, data and AI today announces it has raised a further $85m. High profile backers include Passion Capital, Investec and Scor.
The successful raise values Marshmallow at $1.25bn, making it the second UK unicorn to be founded by people of black heritage.
Established in 2017 by identical twins Oliver and Alexander Kent-Braham along with David Goaté, Marshmallow’s founding purpose was to modernise the insurance industry with the ultimate aim of using data to provide more affordable insurance to customers who fall outside the typical “good risk” profile.
The business’ innovative use of technology, big data and artificial intelligence has enabled it to grow into a serious challenger brand that aims to be one of the largest players in the insurance industry. It is one of just two UK ‘insurtechs’ to have secured an insurance licence, allowing it complete flexibility from quote to claim.
Marshmallow’s unique approach, comprising fair pricing, quick and efficient customer service and no charge for changes made to a policy, has driven growth of over 100% during the last six months with the company having sold well over 100,000 policies. The business’ headcount has also increased by more than by 200% in the past year, and with fresh funding, it expects to hire 400 people over the next 24 months. The Series B will also be used by Marshmallow to expand into other countries, continue to hire the best talent and build other products.
Marshmallow’s Series B raise closely follows its Series A round which closed in November 2020 and secured the company $30m in funding. The company has raised a total of $120m since it was founded.
Oliver Kent-Braham, Co-founder and CEO of Marshmallow: “Customers are voting with their feet - and they clearly want a modern insurance offering. We’ve only just scratched the surface of disrupting a market worth $5trn globally, and there’s so much more we’re planning to do in the coming years. We look forward to building more products that help people in their time of need.”
Eileen Burbidge, Partner at Passion Capital, added: “The traction the team has achieved demonstrates the demand for a new kind of insurance provider, one that focuses more on consumer experience and uses the latest technology and data to give fair prices. We’ve been proud to support the team’s ambitions since the start, and now look forward to its next chapter in Europe as it continues its mission to change the industry for the better.”