Back to blog

Moved from the EU? Here's a mini guide to UK car insurance

Moved to the UK from the EU? Hello - this blog is for you! We’ll chat about everything from getting UK car insurance to driving with your EU licence and getting the claim-free driving discount you deserve.

Do I have to get car insurance in the UK?

Yes, it’s a legal must-have. The minimum amount of coverage you can get is Third-party Only. But you can also get Third-party Fire and Theft, or Fully Comprehensive cover. Both of which provide higher levels of protection.

Find out more about the different levels of cover here. 

How is UK car insurance different to EU car insurance? 

A big difference in the UK is that car insurance covers the car itself, not the driver. That means you are the only person covered to drive your car. 

If a friend, partner or family member wants to drive your car, you’ll need to add them as a named driver to your policy.

That also means you’re not covered to drive anyone else’s car. If you want to drive someone else’s car, you can usually add this as a feature onto your policy by speaking to your insurer. But this add-on tends to let you drive another person’s car with the minimum amount of protection - Third-party Only. That means you and the car you’re driving will not be covered for any damages. 

Confused about Third-party car insurance? Read our blog here. 

I'm a UK resident. Can I use my EU driving licence in the UK after Brexit?

Good news! As long as you have a full, valid EU driving licence, you can keep driving with it until you turn 70. 

How can I get a UK driving licence?

As a UK resident from the EU, you can exchange your current driving licence for a UK one if you want to. And you won’t have to take another driving test!

Here’s how to do that:

1. Double-check that you can exchange your licence using this government tool.

2. Once you’ve filled in your details, the tool will tell you which DVLA forms to download. If you have a full EU licence for driving cars, it’s usually a D1 form. 

3. Download the forms following the link shared or pick them up from your local post office.

4. Pay the fee and send the forms to the address provided. You’ll usually get asked to include your passport/travel document/national identity card, a passport-sized photo of yourself, and your current driving licence. 

5. Wait for your new UK licence to arrive in the post. 

What documentation do I need to get UK car insurance?

Different insurers may ask for different documents. You’ll mostly get asked for:

  • Proof of address

This can be in the form of a recent bill, mortgage statement or rental agreement.

  • Proof of occupation

To prove your work, you can show a payslip, your employment contract or sometimes your work ID. 

If you’re self-employed, you'll need proof from HMRC to confirm your self-employed status.

  • A form of ID, usually your driving licence

  • Your V5C

Otherwise known as the logbook - usually found in the glove compartment of your car.

  • Proof of your claim-free driving

Lots of UK insurers won’t recognise your claim-free driving experience outside of the UK. That means you could be charged up to 45% more on your car insurance. 

But don’t worry - we accept your claim-free driving score from any country!

To prove your claim-free driving history to us, you’ll need a letter or renewal notice from your last insurer. This should include the following information:

  • Your name
  • When your policy started and finished
  • Your claim-free driving score
  • A summary of any claims made
  • The insurance company’s contact details

If you’re struggling to find the right document, talk to us on Live Chat. We’re here to help you get the best price possible. 

What do you think is the best UK car insurance for drivers from the EU? 

We’re a bit biased, but our car insurance is designed for people who’ve moved to the UK. That means: 

  • We’ll cover your current EU driving licence until you turn 70.
  • We’ll look at ALL your driving experience from outside the UK to give you the best price possible.
  • We’ll apply your claim-free driving discount from another country so you can save up to 45% on your cover.

Why not get a quote today?